Saturday, September 13, 2008

Sugar Cookies

Every Fall and Winter I get an urge to make sugar cookies. They are one of my families favorites and are famous among my friends too.

Great Grandmother Brubaker's Sugar Cookies

Stir together in mixing bowl:
5 c. Flour
1 1/2 c. Sugar
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
Cut in:
1 c. Soft Butter
Put in cup:
2 eggs beaten
Fill cup with sour milk (I use buttermilk)
Add 2 tsp. Lemon Flavoring
Add milk mixture to dry ingredients and add more sour milk to make a soft dough. Roll out on floured cloth (I just put flour on the counter) 1/4 inch thick. Cut out with cookie cutters and bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until light brown on the bottom. When cool frost with Butter Cream frosting.
Makes 4 dozen

Butter Cream Frosting
1 stick Butter
4 T. Milk
1 tsp. Vanilla
3 1/2-4 c. Powdered Sugar
Mix butter, milk, and vanilla until fluffy. Add powdered sugar. Mix well and spread on cookies.

The first time I made these I was probably 8 or 9 and I thought the recipe said to put in 4 teaspoons of salt instead of 1/4. We kept adding and adding to it and ended up dumping the whole batch. I still remember the huge bowl of cookie dough waiting to be dumped.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks good!! I'll have to try them:-)
I'll have to tell you Seths salt story sometime!!:-) LOL
Lydia

Anonymous said...

I think the recipe must have been at fault because I did the same thing. Maybe that was when I discovered that making cookies is NOT one of my gifts. :) -Harmony